View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gone to the Dogs

For the past 6 years I have volunteered in numerous ways for an English Pointer rescue called PointerRescue.Org.  We have had around seven foster dogs in and out of our house over the years.  Today, Wyatt and I picked up Zeke.  We will only have him for a couple of days so I can't really count him as a foster dog but nonetheless, he is sleeping in a crate in the house, trying to adjust to this new life ahead of him.  Zeke was found by a hunter here in Kansas.  He was most likely dumped because someone didn't like his hunting ability and was left to fend for himself.  The hunter said he was freezing and he just couldn't leave him there.  Now, Zeke is staring in the face of a pampered life.  He will be taken care of, fed, given water, played with, etc.  His new foster dad is a hunter so he will probably get to do some of what is in his genes and with a person who will not just dump him in the middle of no where but stay by his side and work through his fears.  He hasn't eaten or drank any water yet for me but tomorrow is a new day.  He is nervous in the house and probably hasn't seen much of one, ever.  When I crated him after his bath today, he started whining which got my wonderful son thinking.  Wyatt sat in front of his crate and sang to him.  He then went to his room and picked out a book to read to Zeke.  Back to the crate where he sat and looked at the pictures with this new dog.  It was the sweetest thing ever.  I have always had a soft side for animals.  My Grandma has always had the "touch" too so it is so sweet to see that my son quite possibly got the gene too.  I believe a person who is kind to animals has a good kind heart themselves.  I so wish this on my son.  Zeke will move on in a few days and our house will be back to some sort of normal but there is always another dog out there waiting for a forever home or just a foster home to stay with for a while.  Good luck Zekemeister!

No comments:

Post a Comment