View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Family Time

A week ago yesterday my Dad had prostate surgery.  Due to the snow storm we had, I wasn't able to travel to the hospital for the surgery so we loaded up the house and took off for Western Kansas over the weekend to visit him.  We had a good time and even though Dad was a little on the slow moving, grumpy side, it was nice to be back home for a few days.  He is doing great so far and is back to work at the farm/ranch as we speak. 


Having a parent that goes through surgery or another medical issue is difficult.  I am in the oldest child, living the closest to my parents category so it is often that I feel the responsibility falls to me to make sure they are doing okay and have everything they need, including support.  My Dad hasn't had surgery of any kind since the 60s and did not take to this experience like I expected.  I have thought many times about how men seem to not take their health seriously.  Women seem to have it thrust in their faces everywhere and thus, I think we are better prepared in a sense to deal with what life throws at us.  Maybe my Dad would have been able to talk more openly about his medical issues and not close himself off if he knew his friend down the street had the same surgery (true story).  I felt I had to pull his teeth out to get any sort of information about how he was feeling.  The exception was when they had him on morphine in the hospital!  It was difficult for me to be here and not at the hospital with them.  It is hard sitting by the phone waiting to hear how things went.  I just hope he learns from this and is more open about his health, though I am not holding my breath.  Wouldn't men all be a little less modest about things if they just had to give birth once? :)

Sunday before we came home, my Mom had lunch for everyone after church.  My Aunt Sharon and Uncle Charles from California and my Aunt Coleen from Kansas were there.  I don't think I had seen Aunt Sharon and Uncle Charles since my brothers wedding five years ago.  Uncle Marc was also there and brought Wyatt's cousins (his grandkids) down to play.  Crazy group of people!  In the middle was the matriarch of the family, Grandma Dolly.  Ninety Three years young and still going strong.  I could tell she enjoyed having all four of her kids under one roof.
 Grandma Dolly, her kids and the great grandkids that were present.
My Dad and Grandma Dolly

No comments:

Post a Comment