View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Potty Training Wyatt-Man

My son, Wyatt, turned 3 years old two days before Christmas.  And no, he is not potty trained.  I know, I know.  Some of you just gasped for air.  Others are empathizing with me right now.  With baby number two coming in 3 months, Mom and Dad want a break from diapers, no matter how small.  

Wyatt has had such a dislike for anything to do with the big boy potty that I have been dreading today.  It isn't that I don't want him to be free from the diapers, it is just the power struggle that he seems to think this has to be that has me shaking in my boots.  We were given a book that said this can be done in three days.  Perfect for me, Wyatt wasn't having any of it.  He yelled and yelled, "I don't want to be potty trained!".  Of course I told him if he was old enough to tell me that, he was old enough to go on the potty!  He wanted pants on instead of the underwear and just the thought of going into the bathroom was enough to send him into fits.  But, alas, day one is done and Wyatt is in bed sleeping with his big boy underwear on.  I am on the couch hoping he continues his usual dry bum in the morning.  Hopefully tomorrow will be easier on him and he will realize this isn't a power struggle, Mom and Dad aren't trying to make his life more difficult, and M&M's are really worth a trip to the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment