View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Day!

Yesterday was a big day for the Wyatt-man.  He woke up to a few inches of snow on the ground and couldn't even wait until after breakfast to "throw a snowball at Dad"!  You forget how excited you were as a kid to play in the snow.  His eyes were so bright and he couldn't stop laughing as he trudged through the snow in his too big snow boots. 


                                               Throwing a snowball at Mom!

We don't get snow here like we used too.  We had blizzards when I was growing up.  Snow drifts as high as our elementary school building so we could climb up on top of the building and sled off the top.  There was even one or two winters that the military helicopters from Fort Riley had to come feed our cattle.  There was just too much snow not to drop the hay in from the air.  I can remember spending hours outside in the snow as a kid.  It was never too cold.  Ooooooh, and the snow ice cream my Mom used to make!  Yummm!  She would send us out to collect snow in a big bowl and then make the ice cream for us. 


Things are a bit different now.  I am older and the cold gets to me a lot faster than it used too, but I saw yesterday that the excitement the white stuff generates in a kid is still the same.  You can't trade that for anything and I hope Wyatt has some fond memories of the winter when he gets older.  I will definitely have to dig out that ice cream recipe and buy him a sled!

1 comment: