View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Friday, November 4, 2011

Principles of Sport

I have principles.  I probably have a lot of them.  In this case I am talking about sports. I was a college athlete.  My husband was a college athlete.  Me, a volleyball player.  Mike, a baseball player.  I still love playing, watching, coaching and I know my husband does too.  It really doesn't matter what I am watching.  If it is competitive, I can get into it and find a team/person to root for.  This is where my principles can get in the way and probably limit my fun somewhat.

I refuse to pay more than $35 for a college football ticket.  I think it is silly that you "need" a basketball practice facility right next to the gym you play games in where yes, there is a basketball court.  Seriously, is it really that hard to schedule practice times between two teams?  There are 24 hours in a day!  Among other things, I also think it is crazy to have so many uniforms you can mix and match to make 48 different combinations. Yes Oklahoma State fans, I am talking about your football team.

Tonight, Mike and I had to agree to disagree.  When it comes to uniforms, Mike thinks a nice shiny new uniform gives the athlete an edge and perhaps even makes them play better.  Nice new uniform, you feel better about yourself, you play better.  Me, I disagree totally.  I wore some pretty ugly uniforms in my playing days.  Those of you who played at Barton County or played against us in volleyball will fondly remember the unitards. :)  They were horrible, one piece uniforms that none of us liked but I can with out a doubt say that it didn't make us play worse.  We played in the National tournament both years!  I just don't see how a uniform can affect shear athletic ability.  Maybe it is just me?  I didn't play to look good, I played to win.  I got a high out of hitting the crap out of a volleyball, not looking my best in spandex.  Now, to his defense, baseball players are some of the most superstitious athletes I know.  So it doesn't surprise me in the least that he thinks a uniform can make or break a game.  I will give him that much.  A millimeter.

So much money is now forced into college sports.  Every facet is controlled by a dollar bill.  Because of this, pure sport is in serious jeopardy.  I would just like to think that competition hasn't been reduced to playing well just because you are wearing uniform combination 28.  Maybe put some of the money spent on purchasing 10 uniforms and helmets just to look cool toward reducing the price of my ticket so I can afford to take my family to a game and buy my son a popcorn when we get there.  So sorry honey, I don't think I can agree to disagree.  We will just have to disagree!  And tomorrow, when OSU takes the field against K-State, I hope they are wearing uniform combination 32 because it really does nothing for their figures and right now, K-State will take whatever advantage they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment