View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween!

I will be the first to tell you that Halloween is my least favorite of all the holidays.  Even as a kid, I didn't enjoy trying to figure out what I was going to be and if I remember correctly, my Mom usually came up with something that we could both agree on and she would make it herself.  I was even a nun one year!  I don't like to be scared (never have and never will) and I think most now use the day as an excuse to dress inappropriately in fish net stockings. :) 
 
All that aside, I have kids now and Wyatt is old enough to understand that you can dress up, say trick or treat and candy magically appears in the bucket you hold out in front of you.  This year, Wyatt chose to be, wait for it..... drum roll........ a K-State football player!!!!!  I know, totally surprised those that know him.  I didn't mind one bit that he wanted to be this since we had the uniform already.  We took the kids to a trunk or treat at our church the night before Halloween and at the 11th hour he decided to pull out last year's fireman outfit but on Halloween, it was all K-State football.

My little Lorelai was a ladybug.  I found the costume ultra cheap on Craigslist and it is super nice and one she can wear next year (and will!).  I am not one who drags around a baby with a bag to collect candy they will never eat but it was fun to dress her up and just take her along for the ride.  She was mostly less than thrilled but we went with Mike and Wyatt until we got to our friend's house around the corner and then headed home and left the boys to trick and treat on their own. 
The day before Halloween headed to Resurrection's Trunk or Treat!
On Halloween ready to Trick or Treat!

 Halloween isn't complete without a jack o lantern so Mike and Wyatt made one out of the little pumpkins we had and it turned out pretty cute.  Wyatt also had the K-State pumpkin he won at his school's carnival a week ago.  That one will never go under the knife according to Wyatt so it may be around for next Halloween.  He pretty much loves the pumpkin so I don't know what is going to happen when it is time for it to go bye bye. 
I know there won't be many Halloweens like this.  With Wyatt wanting to be something nice and not scary and Lorelai peeking out from behind her ladybug antennae so I enjoyed the moment and let Wyatt eat an extra piece of candy.  The funny thing was, I think he had more fun handing the candy out to the other trick or treaters than eating it himself!  That's my kiddo!
Mike informed me that he wants to decorate the garage up next year.  Yippee.  I suppose that means the Darth Vader costume is coming back out of hiding.  He didn't wear it this year since Wyatt is scared of everything right now.  But, I have to let those who enjoy the day enjoy it.  Just don't scare me and be sure to tell me how cute the little ladybug is that I am holding and it will be a Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment