View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Promotion Day!

Today was a pretty special day at our house.  Mike was promoted to Master Sergeant!  I am so proud of him and all the years and work he has put into his military career. 

I attended the ceremony today with the kids and got to "pin" him in front of his squadron.  I stand on the left (while I pray the kids behave themselves) while Mike's supervisor is on the right.  They read his orders for the promotion and while the entire squadron is standing at attention, we each put a pin on his collar. 
The pinning! Lorelai is making her escape behind Captain Ehrstein!
Then the fun part...... you make a fist and lightly (or not so lightly if you are ornery) hit him on the pin.  Done!  Master Sergeant!  Then everyone files through, kind of like at a wedding, and shakes hands with those promoted and congratulates them.  It is a pretty neat thing to experience. 

I love Mike's unit.  They are the nicest group of people!  I always enjoy our time there, even if I am constantly worried about who is ranked where and how to keep it straight.  Afterall, I did not grow up with a military background and even though I have been around the Army and Air Force for the last 11 years, it still confuses me to no end!  It is a rare occasion that we get to visit him at work.  It isn't a place you can just walk in and have access to.  There is a blue flashing light every so often that means there are visitors in the building! We got to take a little tour after the ceremony and Wyatt thoroughly enjoyed raiding the snacks in the break room.
Lorelai kept trying to make off with a Snickers.  So much for her MumMum!  So, congrats, Honey.  We will celebrate one day in a big way.  Thanks for your service and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment