View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Win

I'm a pretty competitive person. Well, at least I used to be before age and kids caught up to me. My parents have never said when the competitiveness started for me.  I have never heard them say, "When you were 4, you could not stand to lose!" Well, my son is 4. And he can't stand to lose. The only explanation I have for this is that it is deeply engrained somehow in his DNA.  Sometimes it is cute.  Like when he gives me the report on last nights game with the Shockers. Other times, it gets so frustrating trying to explain to him what teamwork and being a good sport means. Now I know, he is only 4. But he completely understands winning, so why not gracefully losing?

Wyatt and I play Cat In The Hat every day. And every day he beats me. Now it is not that I don't try to win, there are just certain things I can't manipulate. I physically cannot slide myself under the Trick A Ma Stick. Anyone 5'10" with linebacker shoulders just isn't going to make it under the darn thing. And I just can't control how many STOP cards I draw. I don't cheat. Wyatt on the other hand will do anything obvious to win the game. And I stress obvious. I don't let him get away with much but that doesn't stop him from trying. Today his luck ran dry. If he could count the stars on his cards, he would have quit while he was ahead but because he can't, he has to wait until the game is over to learn his fate.  And MOM WON. It was rather funny watching him realize and comprehend that 26 is less than 30. Then, wait for it, instant tears. The kid bawled for a good 15 min. and then preceded to tell me for another hour that he was the actual winner. I tried to give him the typical high five and good game hand shake he doesn't mind giving when HE wins but he was having none of it. He then informed me we would never play the game again (this was taken back at dinner when he informed his Dad he was beating me tomorrow). Jeez!

He is obsessed. I'm just hoping that one day this little trait is a bonus for him and not a detriment. In the meantime, I guess I will just keep pushing my good game policy and hope eventually he catches on. And I'm going to win and win and win. Because if there is one thing I have learned through all the sports I have played and just plain age, you can't be a true winner if you don't know how to lose gracefully.  Be disappointed but make sure it isn't due to your effort and keep digging in your heals and trying. He will get it, eventually, and I hope his dreams of being a baseball player, football player, basketball player and Olympic swimmer come true! Or maybe he can just pay for college!

No comments:

Post a Comment