View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wyatt's First Day of Preschool!

Wyatt, his dad and I have been talking about this day for quite a while.  New things make him a bit nervous and so we wanted him to be fully prepared for the big first day of preschool.  We read the book Llama Llama Misses Mama a lot.  It is perfect for those headed off to school and explains the process and goes through the emotions a little one feels when their mom and dad leave them at school.  We took him school shopping and let him pick out his backpack.  We talked about all the fun he was going to have.  Pointed out his school when we drove by.  A week before his first day we met his teacher, Mr Relph, and he got to peruse his classroom.  Well, today was the day.  He picked out what he wanted to wear.  A KSU football jersey (of course!), his "comfy" shorts and his "fast" shoes.
He had the biggest smile on his face!  Walking into the school, he slowed his pace a bit but kept going.  He hung his backpack up in the room and grabbed my hand.  He stood behind me a bit, peeking at everything and everyone, including the kiddo who was screaming like crazy, and walked with me to find his chair.  He sat rather tentatively and I handed him a blue crayon and the paper in front of him that said This Is What I Colored On My First Day Of Preschool and he was off.

I told him I would see him later and he said "Okay".  Still coloring.  So I told him Dad and I were leaving and I would see him after school by the flag pole and he said "Okay, Bye Mom!"  Never looked up.  It was that easy.  Piece of cake!
When I went to pick him up, the class was on the playground so I hid next to the school in the shade and watched them play for a bit.  So cute.  15 little 3 year olds running around, climbing, jumping.  Loving life.  They got their backpacks and walked, holding hands up to the flag poles where all the moms waited with hugs.  He was so excited and even told me he didn't cry at all.  Ahh.  My big boy.  So Thursday, we do it again and something tells me he has this down.  Mrs. Relph said he was so good, helped pick up things and was a great friend to all the kids.  Music to a Mamas ears!  Happy first day of school buddy!

2 comments: