View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Water Fluoridation in Wichita

A family who is passionate about having healthy teeth!
 About a month ago, my son had his first visit to the dentist.  While I know some of you take your kids to the dentist long before this, ours does not see them until age four and I am guessing this is because its when he went on our insurance.  Anyway, I was nervous for him.  The kid had been to the dentist to watch me go through cleanings, etc since he was born and I have to say, it wasn't pretty.  Up until about age 3 he threw the biggest screaming fits and the poor ladies in the office would do whatever possible (including fill up his tummy with freezie pops) to get him to calm down.  So driving to our dentist that day, I was a little on the nervous side.  I mean, the kid had to sit in the chair by himself and get his teeth cleaned.  With the little tools that look like torture weapons.  Well, he did great.  No problems and picked the zebra polisher and cinnamon tooth polish all by himself.  Then came the bad news.  Two cavities.  In a four year old.  Are you kidding me?  But there they were.  I have looked at enough dental xrays in my life to know no one was pulling my leg.  I was furious at myself.  I felt we had brushed his teeth like we should have, didn't feed him excessive amounts of sugar/juice, etc and took care of his teeth.  I instantly thought of my experiences in the chair getting fillings and began to panic for my son.  How could we, his parents, have let this happen?  The hygienist explained that the cavities were not in between his teeth where food can get stuck and cause cavities if not brushed or flossed out.  The cavities were in the middle of his teeth.  Could be brushing but since we felt we were doing a good job in that department I didn't believe that was the problem.  So explain to me how a four year old gets cavities?  Then the dentist told me.  Wichita does not have fluoride added to their water and this is the cause of lots of tooth decay in the area.  Possibly my son's.  Since Wyatt's birth, we have lived in two towns outside of Wichita, both of which use Wichita water for our supply.  I. WAS. FURIOUS.  How can something so simple and inexpensive not be done to prevent tooth decay in my kids ( In comparable cities to Wichita, it costs 50 cents per person per year to fluoridate the water)? 

Mike and I talked at length about it and figured out that we have both had way more cavities since moving to this area than anywhere previous.  Both of us grew up with fluoridated water.  So I started doing research and I ask that you do to.  Below is some information I want to share with you and I welcome any comments.  Talk to your dentist about it too.  I truly believe this is an issue that any parent in the Wichita area should be well versed on and while I know each of us has our own beliefs on supplements to our family's diets, I believe you will agree this is one that is a must.

Following my son's fillings, both of which he was a champ for, our dentist told us our son's teeth are hard like chalk instead of hard like granite.  Thus, more susceptible to tooth decay.  He was put on a fluoride supplement to hopefully catch the permanent teeth forming in his mouth and make them stronger.  This has been an eye opener for our family and should be for yours.  I can't believe how much money, stress, time and teeth could have been saved if Wichita had fluoridated their water.  Fluoride is not a poison, it is a mineral that is a necessity for healthy teeth!

Information on Fluoride  www.fluoridefor.us/low-cost/

I encourage you to email your city council members regarding this issue.  They are currently split on the issue with one undecided.  The more parents emailing them with their stories, the better.  Use the form at this link and select Entire City Council under choose a council member you want to contact.

Email the Wichita City Council

Thank you for reading!

7 comments:

  1. While I respect your opinion and concern for the well being of your children, I disagree with the notion that water fluoridation is the answer to dental carries in children.

    This study concluded:

    "For the past 50 years community water fluoridation has been considered the milestone of caries prevention and as one of the major public health measures of the 20th century. However, it is now accepted that the primary cariostatic action of fluoride occurs after tooth eruption. Moreover, the caries reduction directly attributable to water fluoridation have declined in the last decades as the use of topical fluoride had become more widespread, whereas enamel fluorosis has been reported as an emerging problem in fluoridated areas. Several studies conducted in fluoridated and nonfluoridated communities suggested that this method of delivering fluoride may be unnecessary for caries prevention, particularly in the industrialized countries where the caries level has became low."

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17333303

    In addition to studies showing evidence of the ineffectiveness of water fluoridation there are many human and animal studies showing the risks associated with ingesting the chemicals they actually buy to put in the water.

    Instead of subjecting the lower risk population to a potentially unsafe level of non-naturally occurring fluoride chemicals we should target our high risk individuals and provide them with an effective, proven and low cost form of fluoride such as toothpaste and fluoride gels and varnishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way... I have lived in Wichita since a very young age and never had a single cavity. I go to the dentist about once a year and used toothpaste with and without fluoride added. Fluoridated water is not right for me and I don't believe anyone should be forced to exposed to this form of medication. It costs a lot of money to remove these chemicals from our water while there are many FREE ways of getting toothbrushes and fluoridated toothpaste through community outreach programs.

      Delete
  2. It's good to see someone sharing a positive view of fluoride. In spite of a very vocal minority, I think Wichitans are, by and large, in favor of improving their oral health and, by extension, their overall health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your powerful statement in support of community water fluoridation. We just posted today how topical applications just aren't enough. Check it out at: http://www.wichitansforhealthyteeth.org/updates/is-using-fluoride-toothpaste-enough

    This is why the Centers for Disease Control, American Dental Association, American Academy of Pediatrics and every reputable health organization agree that without community water fluoridation we won't be as healthy as we can be. Thats why over 500 Wichita dentists, physicians, and other medical professionals have endorsed water fluoridation and want the proven benefits for their own children. So no disrespect to the anti-fluoride activists, but I'll trust my doctor when it comes to health advice

    Please drop us an email to info@wichitansforhealthyteeth.org - we'd love to discuss how you can get involved in our efforts to protect oral health in Wichita. We will be glad to protect your anonymity if that is important to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your dentist discuss his tooth formation? Some children (like our 5 yr old) have really deep pitted teeth. They tend to collect more debris and this leads to dental caries. She had a very minor cavity a few months ago and the dentist placed sealants to prevent more cavities. The medical community used to prescribe ether during birth. It was never a good idea but it was certainly population for a while. A common, popular idea is not always a good one. Just look at our current "rock star" president.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. Your dentist has misled you to believe that lack of fluoride in the water has caused your son's cavities. There are numerous facts and scientific reports online that you can find easily regarding fluoride, so instead I will share my own story. I grew up with fluoridated water. I can't tell you how many cavities I had. When my permanent teeth came in, I brushed like mad, intent on never needing another filling. Didn't happen. I also had a 4 year old with a cavity so bad that it needed a "baby root canal." For the first 4 years of his life, he also drank fluoridated water. On my journey, I have also met NUMEROUS families with kids who have toddlers whose teeth are literally disintegrating. All using fluoride products. If you want a true tool in fighting cavities, begin using xylitol products daily. Also, Vitamin D in fall/winter is very important, as is a healthy diet. Fluoride does not do it, and the sooner you accept that, the healthier your child's teeth will be.

    ReplyDelete