View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Monday, May 14, 2012

Shelley Graduates!

Graduating has become a tradition in our family.  A tradition I am quite proud of and one that continued this past Saturday when my little sister Shelley earned her Bachelors degree from Kansas State University. 



I am so proud of her!  Being 12 years older, I have watched her grow up probably from a different perspective than most siblings have.  I was more of a mother hen at times than anything.  It is tough not to want to protect her and keep her safe at all times.  While this didn't always set well with her, she took me in stride and we have such a great relationship.  She has forged her own path and that is exactly what she needed to do.  I have to admit I fought tears watching her accept her diploma and wanted to just hug the life right out of her. 





After her ceremony, we celebrated the achievement at her apartment with many family and friends.  My Mom outdid herself with all the food and my son successfully filled himself with Powercat sugar cookies and purple cake pops in about 30 seconds!  Oh and I do need to say the purple ice cream from Call Hall is to die for in case you had a hankering for some very real ice cream made right there on campus.



At the end of the day, we loaded up and headed back home pretty happy with the whole experience.  Then there was Wyatt.  Sad little Wyatt in the back seat who, with his lower lip quivering, told Mike and I that Aunt Shelley was moving from Manhappiness and we now had no one to come visit any more.  Poor little guy!  We assured him that there were more trips in our future regardless and he went to sleep.  No doubt dreaming about his future visits.  I was right there with him.  It was such a happy day but I also felt a little bit sad that for the first time in a very long time, no one in our immediate or extended family will be attending KSU.  I guess I need to make it my mission to get my husband to go back for his doctorate! 
Shelley with me and our brother, Tony

Congratulations Shelley!  You are going to make your mark on this great big world in big and small ways and DBS is lucky to have you on their team.  I can't wait to see where this next part of your life leads and I wish you the best.  Have so much fun and keep your free spirit alive.  It is one of your best qualities.  Love you sis!



No comments:

Post a Comment