View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Kohake Girls Weekend 2014 - Manhattan, KS!

If there is one place that my Mom's family identifies with it is Manhattan, KS.  All four sisters graduated from KSU and of their daughters, 3 of the 5 of us also hold the blessed certificates. But regardless of our degree status, every darn one of us bleeds purple!!! It was only fitting that we meet there for our fun weekend and with all the changes going on in Manhattan, I really looked forward to the trip.

Rather than choosing a hotel, my Mom found a great little house called Houston Street Cottage (www.houstonstreetcottage.com) that was a wonderful place to stay. The house was literally a block from Poyntz Ave. so we were within easy walking distance of restaurants, the mall, the farmer's market and Poyntz shopping. One of the restaurants I really wanted to try was Bourbon and Baker. First of all, the name just speaks to me. Two yummy things wrapped into one, bourbon and baked goods. Gotta love it! The decor was eclectic and simple and I wanted the table we sat at in my house. That, and I loved the trim/wainscot pieces they used around their bar.
From the outside looking in
So simple and yet so functional
Love the rustic face of the bar
And then came the food! Everything was very unique and oh so yummy. It is the type of place they bring the entire table a stack of plates and you can either choose to eat what you ordered yourself, or share with your friends. Our waitress was very good and even helped me order for my daughter who is not into gourmet food. Lolo cleaned her plate so the chicken and waffles were a hit. Not to mention the duck fat fries, strawberry bruschetta, corn on the cob covered with yummy goodness and more. Lorelai and I had a great time hanging out for a special dinner with the ladies and the cookie we got from the bakery in back was to die for! Shhhhh, we snuck it home for a late night snack. ;)
The 3 year old taking selfies after dinner. Oh boy!

One of my favorite parts of the weekend was visiting my friend and his studio, Prairie School Farms (http://www.prairieschoolfarms.blogspot.com/ or find him on FB) in Westmoreland. We all picked up some treasures and I got to visit a bit with him. He has such a talent and I just love that he has found his happy place.
One thing we did this weekend was take A LOT of pictures. We took pics all over town at some favorite spots and had some good laughs. Some of us are a little type A and have to color coordinate, height coordinate, age coordinate, whatever coordinate the pictures. I love to just stand back and watch them figure it all out. That's why I'm just the camera lady! :) 
Photo coordinating....... :)
And we are set! #gowiththeFlo
Jump around! Jump around!
What the heck is soooooo funny?????
A favorite... always having a great time!
Till next year ladies... I'm already dreaming of coconut moscato, Aunt Marcia's toffee and tons of laughs. Its always a trip and I love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment