View from the big hill

View from the big hill

Monday, December 10, 2012

The Perfect Tree

Every family has their own traditions when it comes to their Christmas tree.  Some go to a tree farm and cut one down, other just unpack the box and decorate to their hearts content.  Growing up, my families tradition was load up in the car and head to one of our pastures in Nebraska.  Mom and Dad would pretty much turn us loose and my brother and I would take off through the pasture on foot.  Climbing through the creek bed, over fallen trees and just having a blast being outside and free.  I have no idea what my parents were doing while all this running around was going on.  My guess is they were just trying to keep up!  My Dad recently told me that they would hear us yelling "I found one!" and then we would all have to go check it out. Once the perfect tree was found, Dad would cut it down and we would haul it back home, set it up in the front room or the living room and then listen to Christmas music while we decorated the tree.  I can even remember one year we hand strung popcorn garland.  It took forever but it sure looked great! 

Wyatt took this picture of us!
Now with my own family, we have tried to find our own traditions.  We have always had an artificial tree but this year we finally decided to donate it to my parents church and get a real one.  Mike had never cut one down before and I was pretty excited to take the kids out to hunt for the tree.  We found a local tree farm and off we went.  Lorelai saw the horse drawn wagon and just HAD to ride it.  She just kept saying "horsey, horsey"!  We took a short ride through one field and then ended up at the second little field looking through the Virginia Pine.  We jumped off the wagon and it took the kids a minute to realize they were out in the open and could just go.  Then they were off.
It didn't take too long before we found "the one".  They searched a bit more to make sure and then had Dad get the saw.  Both kids had to get in there and be as close to the action as possible. 
The kids had a blast and so did we! We went back via wagon pulled by a tractor and had some hot chocolate and apple cider.  And the best part?  I think our family found our tradition.  We found the perfect tree and came home and decorated it with ornaments the kids have received over the last several years while listening to Christmas music and of course trying to keep Lorelai from bringing the whole thing down.  Needless to say, I don't think there will be wrapped presents under the tree until the kids go to bed Christmas Eve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment